I must admit that I am not the biggest fan of prints or bold colors but this time of the year it’s hard for even the most color resistant person (me) to resist throwing a little color into their wardrobe. Read More
Is there anything better than the perfect dress? From a flowing maxi to a darling sundress, spring is definitely in the air, so it’s time to break out those colorful dresses, shorts and printed rompers. Read More
I think it’s safe to say that no matter where you live right now, you’re ready for warmer weather, sunshine on your face and a little glow to your skin. If you’re lucky enough to live in Atlanta (and have been in the store) or if you’ve been following HIP on instagram, facebook or twitter you undoubtedly have noticed all of the new spring styles that are popping up all over! Read More
‘Tis the season. Holiday season is in full swing here at HIP. That means it’s time to prep your gift list (and wish list), there will also be a number of holiday parties that you will be attending too and that means you’ll need to bring a little something for your host or hostess. If you’ve been scratching your head about where to start your holiday shopping, fear not! In this post I’ll be sharing some amazing ideas to help get your list started. Don’t forget to visit the gift section of our website for even more ideas.
Gifts For Your BFF
Move to the top of the “nice list” by giving your bestie a gift that she will love! I like to go sparkly and fun for this category, with gifts around the $50 mark, so jewelry, and winter accessories are always good pick.
Make her holiday merrier with something unique and fun! I like to call this category Stocking Stuffers, but really, it could be any item that’s super small and/or around $25. In general, these are the gift items to look for when shopping for coworkers, White Elephant gifts, holiday hostess gifts, etc.
Got someone you wanna splurge on this year? Usually this category goes for mom or sisters, but it could also be items you put on your own wishlist. Because sometimes our guys aren’t always the most observant, but they do know how to use a list.
Who doesn’t love cozy blanket scarf, bath products, yummy candles or S’well bottles for all those wine, or hot chocolate sipping nights? These gifts are fool-proof, and you can gift them to anyone from grandparents to in-laws or anyone who is hard to shop for!
Gifts For Yourself
Because yes girl, you deserve to treat yourself. I normally end up buying myself something really nice around Christmas, I mean I’ve worked hard all year so I feel it’s more than deserved, plus if the hubs goes off script I know there will be at least one thing under the tree that I won’t be returning. ?What’s on your list this year?
Whether it’s under fall’s must have bomber jacket, your trusty peacoat or a sleek moto jacket, cowl neck sweaters are super cozy and easy to layer, making them perhaps one of the most essential closet staples for fall. I love how you can make a cozy and chic outfit with just a cowl neck, leggings and a cute jacket. Since we are on the cusp of the holiday and travel season I thought it was a good time to share my favorite cowl necks and outfit ideas from the RD Style fall sweater collection at Hand In Pocket.
RD Style Sleeveless Cowl neck Sweater- I love this sleeveless option from RD Style. I’ve shared how much I love the versatility of sleeveless sweaters in previous posts. With temps starting in the 50’s or 60’s here in Atlanta, then rising to the low 70’s – this sleeveless style allows you to transition from cool to warm throughout the day either by wearing a light seamless tee under it or with a jacket over it ( like we’ve done here) . This one has high side slits and a chunky cable knit texture. We styled it with the Marilou faux suede moto jacket from BB Dakota and dark skinny jeans from DL 1961. This would be a nice casual yet dressy option for Thanksgiving Dinner.
RD Style Blueridge Tunic Sweater- We all know how daunting holiday travel can be, especially if you’re a mom and you’ve got kids to wrangle on a plane or in the car. You want to get to your destination and look like your not falling apart (which is how you might be feeling on the inside), so having a no fuss outfit is a must!
Another sleeveless sweater option is this one from RD Style it has a cute zipper detail on the side. We’ve layered a seamless tee underneath and paired it with boyfriend jeans from Level 99. This would be a super cute look for hitting up all those Black Friday Sales.
We have all been waiting to wear our favorite fall trends since September but the weather hasn’t gotten the memo with temps still topping 85 degrees (and it’s almost November). For me (and most people living in the South), late October is our first real taste of fall with crisp mornings and chilly nights. I personally like to mark Halloween as the time to flip my closet and pull out some of my favorite fall pieces, and with that date only being a week away it’s time to get excited for a new season of outfits. In this post I will be sharing 5 of my must haves for fall.
1. The Neck Tie
If you’ve been paying any attention to fashion the last couple of months, you know that the ‘70s are IN. Between the flared denim, patchwork prints, lace-up tops and suede everything, the decade is ruling the runways and the streets in a major way. Case in point .. the neck tie, I feel like it went away for a second then came back? Whether tied in a bow or styled with a simple knot these skinny scarves are a major game changer
2. Patchwork BAGS– As bohemian trends go, patchwork is one of my favorites. There’s something about the whimsical pairing of different prints and colors on one individual piece that instantly takes any outfit to the next level.
3. Suede Moto Jacket One of the easiest ways to start layering with texture right now is with the suede moto jacket. Wear it now with lighter tops and booties and later over a chunky sweater and OTK boots.
4. Boyfriend Jeans– You have a lot of choices when it comes to your denim selection. My favorite pair for a cozy weekend look are these Level 99 boyfriend jeans or a straight-leg. These jeans look great when paired with ankle boots and a bomber jacket. Since, these jeans are baggy, make sure to keep everything else a little more fitted. Shown- Level 99 Lily Straight Leg- Orinda
5. Over The Knee Boots– These boots have been trending for several years and are perhaps the biggest boot trend for Fall. The struggle for me has been finding a pair that looks wearable for my day to day life. I absolutely love this pair from Chinese Laundry – first because it’s black so it goes with all of my outfits and it’s flat so its super comfortable. I’m also tall so I don’t feel overtly sexy when I wear this style with dress. Chinese Laundry is one of my favorite shoe brands for on-trend styles at great price points, and trust me, you will wear this boot all season long!
Whether trendy or not sweaters are always fall’s number one staple. Right now, the thought of wearing three, four, or even five layers may sound crazy. Give it a month’s time though and you’ll be changing your mind! Right now the long cardigan trend is the perfect way to usher in sweater weather- calf and ankle-length styles or maxi cardigans are one of the most wearable styles of the season.
Long cardigans are flattering on women of any size or shape, but they also make for perfect fall and winter layering pieces, making them a great addition to your cold-weather wardrobe. Not sure how to wear these long cardigans? Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered with a few tips:
Pair with Skinny Jeans
The relaxed boyfriend cardigan is one of my favorites – it works with just about any look, from short hemlines (shorts and mini-skirts) to long (jeans). I like to wear longer cardigans with skinny jeans or leggings (this is one of my favorite casual looks). For a more relaxed weekend style, pair your cardigan with boyfriend-cut jeans and sneakers.
Play with hemlines
Because maxi cardigans are so long, you can easily create a visually interesting outfit by playing with the length of your other clothing. Choose fitted dresses or skirts, for example, that are a bit shorter than the cardigan, or wear tall boots over your pants or leggings.
Don’t put away your brightest dress just yet! Although this emerald green dress with open back (now on super sale) screams summer it’s perfectly fall ready when paired with this lightweight draped faux suede jacket from C. Luce. Think that white lace dress is ready to be retired. Hang on, give it an edgy treatment with BB Dakota’s Calipatria black faux suede moto jacket, booties and a leopard clutch.
Fall is hands down my favorite season of the year. I just love the clothing, the food, the weather, and the sports.. (I could go on an on) but here in Atlanta and throughout most of the South, it doesn’t start to actually feel like fall until mid to late October. Most stores (Hand In Pocket included) start rolling out their fall gear as the kids head back to school and while there are some seriously drool worthy pieces in the shop right now (like these jackets) sometimes it’s so hard to buy something new and hold in your closet until the weather cooperates to wear it.
The biggest question I hear from customers in the months of August and September (and one that I ask myself quite frankly) is WHAT am I supposed to be wearing right now? It’s hot, but we’re technically supposed to be phasing out of summer clothing. In the past I’ve shared a great dress silhouette that’s perfect to wear during the pre-fall and in the next couple of posts, I’m really going to be covering the best transitional pieces that will get you past these in between weather months and will bring you right into fall. Let’s start with the sleeveless sweater- this style has actually been trending for several seasons now and is the unsung hero of transitional dressing. You may think a sweater that’s missing one of its key components is unnecessary, but hear me out. When it’s warm outside, wear it with as sleeveless top; when it gets cooler, wear it with a top underneath; when it gets downright cold, wear it as an extra layer with a coat on top. Basically, it’ll carry you from summer to winter seamlessly!! Scroll down and get inspired and shop our sleeveless sweater options!
1. BB Dakota Ames Capelet- Not your classic sleeveless sweater, this version blends the chicness of a cape with the classic styling of a turtleneck to create a singularly amazing piece. This sweater is very lightweight making it a great pre-fall option. We’ve styled this piece with leather leggings for a look that would be great for a night out.
2. Morrocan Fringed Mockneck– Probably exactly what you imagined when you read the title of this post. This style receives updates in the form of a fun fringe trim and a longer tunic length.
3. C Luce Sandstorm Vest– Although more of a vest or duster, I just love the versatility of this piece, and just like a sleeveless sweater this one allows for endless styling options (layer it over dresses, jumpsuits or denim), the creme color is also very neutral so it will mix and match with other pieces in your closet. Wear it to add a nice finished look to your outfit.
4. BB Dakota Jemmia Sweater Dress– Don’t underestimate the power of a sweater dress. This chic option from BB Dakota is great to wear with booties or wedges now. As it cools layer this piece with a fitted long sleeve underneath. I’m 5’8″ and would definitely wear this as a tunic over leather leggings.
As much as we hate to admit it, the sticky heat of August is a sure sign that the back to school season is here. And that means it’s time to buckle down and start studying up on the fall accessories that you need to update your wardrobe. We’ve rounded up a few of our favorites here.
top: black tie choker
You might have noticed that styles from the 90s are making a comeback in a major way this season. And chokers are perhaps the most popular flashback trend .This style looks great worn alone or layered up with a pendant necklace.
Suede Baseball Caps
This fall we are all about embracing the sporty trend and baseball caps are perhaps the cutest and sportiest- current trend this fall. This trend makes it easy to a) cover up a bad hair day, b) add a more masculine touch to your outfit, and c) stay super-comfortable throughout your day. It’s a weekend staple and looks great whether paired with a tee and jeans or stilettos. Shop our collection of hats here.
Undoubtedly, there are few pieces that feel more essential to the back-to-school shopping list than a backpack. Why not swap yours out for a sturdy-meets-studious tote? On days when you don’t need to carry your whole library with you, a large tote will do the trick for carrying your laptop, notebook, and the rest of your day-to-day essentials..
Perforated Tote- (available in store or by phone) $75.00